Sunday, October 20, 2013

October 20, 2013: Baby Peacock!

365 Project, Day 109
Here is my day 109 submission to my 365Project:

I spent some more time today wandering around Beacon Hill Park (it is just across the road from where I live!) to see what sort of shots I could get. You'd think one could get tired of going to the same park most days but it seems I always come across something new or interesting. Today I came across a group of peafowl...peahens and their baby peacocks or peahens. Surprisingly this was the first time I've actually seen peahens with their wee ones walking around the park and it was quite a pleasure! 


Baby peafowl...so cute with the little feather tufts emerging from it's head!
Fun fact of the day:
Peafowl are related to pheasants with the main difference between the two being the plumage. Peafowl are very hardy birds and, with proper care, can live forty to fifty years! This means it's possible that some of the peafowl inhabiting Beacon Hill Park can have been in the park since the 60s or 70s! 

To read more about peafowl check out the United Peafowl Association webpage.



Fall forest floor

In Beacon Hill Park it's dead, old trees like this one that are preserved as a 'wildlife' trees...many wildlife species need old, dead trees for nesting, food, shelter,roosting and perching



A mother peahen keeping an ever watchful eye out to protect her chick

Time to cross the road


Waiting to be sure it's safe to cross

Always look both ways :)

No comments:

Post a Comment