Wednesday, October 16, 2013

October 16, 2013: Hoo Are You Looking At?

365 Project, Day 106
Here is my day 106 submission to my 365Project:

While riding my bike today along the Galloping Goose Trail, one of Victoria's bike paths, I happened to look up and there, just a couple of metres above the trail, was a Barred owl (Strix varia) looking down on everybody walking and biking by (most people didn't even notice!). Unfortunately, it was very close to dark and I didn't have my zoom lens but I still managed to grab this shot with my 80 mm lens at ISO 4000!



Fun fact of the day:
Barred owls often live near water in large, mature forests made up of deciduous and evergreen trees where they will nest in tree cavities. Having moved into old-growth coniferous forests in the Pacific Northwest Barred owls now compete with the Threated Spotted owl (Strix occidentalist). 

Here are some more photos of the Barred owl:



No comments:

Post a Comment